Thursday, August 11, 2022

Summer is Back!

 






Dear Brothers and Sisters,

Currently, I find myself both exhausted but also rejuvenated from our first normal summer in two years. After simply tasting Kids Club and work sites with extraordinarily small groups last year. This year we finally got back to full teams, multiple worksites, and absolutely jumping Kids Clubs! Sometimes it’s hard to remember how much we miss something until we find ourselves back in the middle of it. Which is what I felt in full these past few months. I had forgotten how sweet it is to have our church building full of brothers and sisters from around the country or having a tarp covered completely in children, listening intently to a bible story. At Adam’s View Park, one of the housing projects, we seemed to have first time kids club attendees just about every week. It was also incredibly rewarding to see so many reunions between team members who haven’t come since before covid with kids that were much older and taller after two years. On top of that, I also had the pleasure of serving on worksites with our youth all summer. Every week we would have between 14 to 22 youth spread out working on houses across the reservation. We painted over graffiti, repainted sheds and houses, undertook yard cleanups for elders, and did whatever we could to help out. To quote one of my fellow staff members, “it’s a miracle that these youth would even come out to help, let alone how hard they work and how much they accomplish.” After working with the youth so much this summer, I’m hopeful and excited to see how the Lord grows them within the church and nourishes their leadership potential.

But summer teams weren’t the only exciting thing happening since my last update. In May I got to take my afterschool kids to a weekend summer camp getaway. We did activities like archery, ziplining, low ropes courses, a giant tree swing, roasted marshmellows, hiked, explored, and just had fun in God’s creation. It was honestly just breathtaking to see the kids have so much fun and try new things. Repeatedly I was asked if we could go back to the same place next year and when HOPE would be starting in the Fall. At our last meeting of the year, we threw all the kids a big party and showed them a video compilation of the past year. All the kids jumped for joy and hollered at the memories of the year. They laughed with each other and chanted each other’s names when they came on screen. If nothing else, I was overjoyed that they got a physical representation of how loved they are and what an amazing year it was with them. Additionally, it is looking like our afterschool numbers will be dramatically growing this September, Last year we had around 8 students. This year it is seeming like I may have trouble fitting them in one of our fifteen passenger vans. What a problem to have! Thank you for your prayers and support of our first year of HOPE afterschool, I can’t wait to see what God has in store for year two!

So here I sit, trying to remember almost four months’ worth of God’s blessings (I should probably write these more often). With all sincerity it is hard to fully articulate or recollect all the wonderful things that have gone on throughout the summer. But I hope this update does an adequate job of summing up what a wonderful few months it has been. God does not forget His people and has seen us through the trials of covid and out the other side. May God bless you as He has blessed me beyond my hopes. Thank you for your continued support and prayers.

Blessings,

Trey

No comments:

Post a Comment